photo by Steve Penland

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Race Report--2012 St. Paul Half Marathon

It turns out that inline half-marathons are actually quite easy, and seem to take no time or effort at all.

When you sleep through them, that is.

Yeah, I wussed out on the race.  I got up at 2:45 to take my thyroid meds (to ensure maximized timing for the 7:35 race start), and logged onto the computer for a quick peek at the weather radar.  It wasn't raining at the time but more rain was clearly coming, so I still didn't know what decision to make.  So I went back to bed, and got up again when my alarm went off at 5:00.  Another radar check revealed the same thing (but with different impending rain):  not raining, rain coming.  I weighed all my options, decided I really wasn't up for driving all the way to St Paul, messing around in the (possible) rain before and after the race, and wrecking a set of bearings--and perhaps a body part or two, if I succumbed to slippery pavement and crashed.  Plus, I had a party at a friends house, also on the east end of town, that started at 11:00, so I'd have to pack everything for both the party and the race.  I know, should have packed the night before, but I didn't want to go to the trouble of packing all the race stuff if I wasn't going to race.

It all just seemed like so much work.  Sigh.

So I decided to skip it.  I called sister Energizer Bunny--her husband Sherpa Boy answered; he was obviously being pressed into chauffeur-and-schlepper service again--and reported my defection.  EB decided to go ahead as planned.

So I went back to bed.  I woke up at 8:15 and thought "wow, the race is almost over.  That was fast."

So really, inline races are easy.

As it turns out, it didn't rain and EB had a great race--fifth in her extremely-competitive age class (50-59--those ladies threw down some impressive times!).  My friend Mel also had a great race--second woman overall.  She apparently ran into EB either before or after the race and, being unable to remember her actual name, had to refer to her as "Energizer Bunny."  Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment