photo by Steve Penland

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Oval is Over

Last night was my last oval workout of the 2012-13 winter season (the oval is open a couple more days but I'll be in Salt Lake City trying not to achieve another SLC Epic Fail race and thus will miss the actual last day of the oval season).  Last year I was moved to poetry by the close of the season.  This year I'm moved to...well, I'm barely moving at all.  I am so freakin' tired right now that I think I--a classic white-knuckle get-me-off-this-thing-now flier--am actually looking forward to my flight to Salt Lake tomorrow...because it will be a fine opportunity for a nap.

Some of the fatigue is probably situational.  I've had stuff going on during the weekends that has prevented me from sleeping in; I've had extra stuff after school several days of the week; today was a full day of teaching followed by 3 hours of parent-teacher conferences and then coming home to pack (OK, and to do a blog post.  Just a little one.).  But I do think some of the fatigue is more than just situational; I think that it's time to get the thyroid checked again.  Along with the fatigue and the complete inability to turn in a reasonable lap time on the oval, a couple of other familiar symptoms are rearing their ugly heads--not the least of which is an all-consuming irritability.  Whee.  I probably should have had my levels checked sooner, but it's a tricky thing--if you check too soon, your levels won't be low enough to be of concern (even though the symptoms will suck at that point) and then the doctor and the insurance company will be reluctant to do another check for many months.  So I've got to wait until things get pretty unpleasant before I go in for a check.

I think I've reached that point.

So tomorrow I'll take my tired, cranky, sore-hamstringed self off to Salt Lake to race. (No blog updates from out there because I'll only have the Android tablet, which I can't figure out how to blog with). My goal is to have fun and to not get too depressed when my times stink.  Then I'll come back and do whatever I can   (in 5 days) to get ready for the Metrodome Inline Marathon on March 9.  And I'll get my thyroid checked again.

And then, finally, starting March 10...I'll rest.

Right now, that's sounding pretty darn good.


1 comment:

  1. Hello frіends, how іs аll, and what you would likе tο ѕаy on the topic of this post, іn my view its genuinely awеsome
    dеsigned for me.

    Also viѕit my weblog - augen lasern

    ReplyDelete