photo by Steve Penland

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Well. That Didn't Last Long.

The "normal," I mean.

After writing the previous blog post this morning, I went to the US Speedskating website to register for the upcoming American Cup race in Roseville.  It's a two-day "official" meet, and one of the few non-masters metric meets that I can do.  It's always fun, and since it's Dec. 7 and 8 this year it's a nice start to the season.

But when I got to the registration page, I found...a statement about the qualifying times for the meet.  A 48 second 500 meter race time is required for "senior" (over 19, so I'm definitely in that category) women to race the event.

Now, this is a problem for several reasons: 1) I do not have a 500 time under 48 yet this season.  In fact, I only have one 500 time for this season, and it's a 50.84.  And, in fact, I only have three sub-48 500 times ever--all from high-altitude "fast" ovals.  I'm pretty close to a sub-48 in Milwaukee so I have a decent shot at making the time there...but Milwaukee doesn't have time trials this coming weekend and then I'm up north with my parents for Thanksgiving weekend and then I'm out of weekends.  None of which would be a problem except that 2) when I first checked the long track regulations in the early summer, the Roseville American Cup was not listed as having any qualifying times.  The other two Am Cups--in Salt Lake and Milwaukee--were, but not Roseville.  So I wasn't worried about  making the time early in the season; I figured I'd see how I did at the Master's Single Distance Championships in January in Milwaukee and if I didn't make the time then, I could go down and try again later before the final Am Cup in Milwaukee in early March.  So when I got sick before the two weekends that I had planned Milwaukee trips this fall, I cancelled the trips without a worry.

Now, however, I appear to be somewhat, um, screwed.  I need to make the time, and I only have one attempt at it--on outdoor ice this coming Saturday.  My outdoor PB is a 48.59, so it's not completely out of the question...but it's quite the long shot.  I've asked Coach TieGuy and fellow skater Sprinter Boy for advice on what to do this week to give myself the best chance possible at making the time, and both were kind enough to offer suggestions.  So I'll do what they say, and I'll get out there Saturday morning and do my best...but I have to admit that I'm cranky.

Really cranky.

Does anyone know, does skating cranky make you fast?  I certainly hope so, or I'm going to be spending Dec. 7 and 8 standing next to the oval holding a stopwatch instead of skating...

No comments:

Post a Comment