photo by Steve Penland

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Race Weekend Report

No, not the 10K report.  Yes, that had been scheduled for yesterday, but it got rescheduled to Feb. 8, giving me the opportunity to do a full weekend of metric racing at Roseville yesterday and today--and also giving me an opportunity to train hard-ish for an extra week before starting my 10K taper.

My legs did not appreciate this opportunity.

So my week went like this:  CrossFit Monday because that's when I usually do it; CrossFit Tuesday because the oval was closed due to cold (that was the previously-written-about "pullup and dub" Tuesday); Wednesday was a short but fast tempo workout; Thursday was a short "pre-race warmup" workout plus a few extra laps; and then Friday was, thankfully, a rest day.  My legs have suddenly remembered that they are 50 and that they've recently been subjected to a rather intense ramping-up of the number of workouts they're required to participate in per week, and they're currently just short of mutiny.

So I went into the weekend's racing with a bit less than full enthusiasm.  I had initially signed up for the full women's short all around program: 500 and 1500 on Saturday, 1000 and 3000 on Sunday.  The weather forecast Friday night inspired me to switch my 3K from Sunday to Saturday--Saturday was supposed to be a bit windier, but I figured that the 20 degree high would beat Sunday's 4 degrees in the "which would I rather skate 7.5 laps in?" contest.

The 500, usually my nemesis, actually went pretty well.  Thanks to my attempts to incorporate my new knee-drive technique into my starts, my opener (the first 100 meters of the 500) was actually my fastest ever outdoors, and my fourth fastest of all time--which led to my overall time in the 500, 49.68, being my third fastest outdoor time ever (see why I keep all my skating stats?  How else would I know such things?).

I had hoped to use my new technique to keep my speed up with less effort in the 3K, and I was successful--for the first 700 meters.  After that I hit a very large wall and the remaining laps were extremely painful and increasingly slow, although my final time of 5:24.43 was in the top third of my outdoor 3K's which is actually amazing given how awful I felt. This 3K was one of those races that almost make me wish I were a sprinter.

Given all that, I approached Sunday's races with even less enthusiasm than Saturday's.  And the 1000 did not disappoint--at 1:43.27 it was one of my slower outdoor 1K's, and felt just about as bad as the 3K had, although mercifully a lot shorter.  I had died pretty extensively between the first and second laps, so I decided that my goal for the 1500 would be to try for fairly even splits for the three laps, however slow they might be.  And I actually succeeded--my laps after the opener were 39 something, 41 something, and 41 a little less something (no official lap times yet).  I was quite pleased with my final time of 2:35.65, and Sprinter Boy and Hawkeye Boy said my technique looked a lot better throughout the race.

Still, happy as I was with the 1500, I'm very glad that the races are done and that I have minimal skating planned for this week.  I can't imagine skating 25 laps on legs that feel the way mine felt this week, so bring on the couch time, foam rolling, and short taper workouts!


No comments:

Post a Comment