photo by Steve Penland

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Setback


The week started out so well. On Monday, I got to do a real CrossFit workout.  On Tuesday, I got to do another one.  Then on Wednesday I took the dog out, slipped and fell in the unseasonably-early snow, and tweaked my leg.

Damn.

I knew right away that, even though I had fallen in the worst possible way--slipping with my injured leg in front of me, which forced me to use my hamstring to try (unsuccessfully) to stop myself from falling--I hadn't re-torn the attachment.  It hurt a bit but nothing like the original injury, and the hamstring clearly still worked.  So I didn't call the doc, but just talked to my physical therapist about it at my appointment that afternoon.  By then my leg was sore and swollen, but with no bruising, so he agreed that it was pissed off but not torn.  He banned me from squats, Burpees, rowing, and anything else lower-body until I see him next week, and said it was likely that the fall would delay my return to skating and full CrossFit by an additional couple weeks.  He also told me to be damn sure I don't fall again in the next week or two.  So now I creep around outside in my boots with ice cleats strapped to them, shuffling cautiously along like an old lady.

So I had a couple days of "return to pity party"--my recovery had just hit a phase where I could start doing really fun stuff like actually getting out of breath and sweaty at CrossFit, and it was frustrating to see that go away and to return to the pain level, swelling, and more restricted activities that I had experienced two or three weeks ago.  But I'm over that and able to look on the bright side now...I didn't re-tear the hamstring, I can still do a lot of active stuff, and I'll be back to where I was--and beyond--soon.

So as setbacks go, it certainly could have been a lot worse.


2 comments:

  1. Bummer to hear about your setback, but glad it wasn't any worse than it was. I also hope it was white snow and not yellow snow that you slipped into!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris! Yes, fortunately I hit the snow before the dog did :-)

    ReplyDelete