photo by Steve Penland

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

R and R

I just got home from a couple days of R and R with the family (well, most of the family--end-of-year is a busy time for the Hubster's business, so he couldn't go) at my parents' place.  There was a lot of looking at this...
Looks like the ghost of the Edmund Fitzgerald, doesn't it?

There was quite a bit of looking at this...
These are just three of my parents' four dogs.

Keira did a lot of this...

Small dogs, small beds...

I did a lot of sitting, and walking, and watching football, and eating.  Lots of eating.

I did have one workout--sister Energizer Bunny and Brother in law Sherpa Boy and I went cross country skiing.  It was a lot of fun, although honesty compels me to say that part of the fun was skiing faster than EB (who routinely beats me in inline marathons.). EB was not happy with this, of course.  At one point, while skiing down a long gradual hill, I succumbed to my usual lack of coordination and crashed.  EB caught up to me while I was still upside down in the snow bank.

Did she stop and inquire, with sisterly solicitude, whether I was all right?

She did not.

Did she pause, in her descent, to see whether I was injured?

She did not.

Did she even yell "are you OK?" as she skiied by? 

She did not.

No, as she passed she yelled, with great satisfaction, "good, now I'm ahead of you!"

And then, with a little kick-and-double-pole maneuver designed to increase her speed, she cruised away down the hill.

I'm happy to say that I caught her again within a mile or so.

Anyway, it was a fun vacation, and a nice rest before I start my taper workouts for the upcoming Masters Single Distance Championships this weekend.

Next up--goals for the masters race.

No comments:

Post a Comment