photo by Steve Penland

Friday, January 13, 2012

Well, That's One Good Thing

Heard back from my cardiologist today...he's not at all concerned with my PVC's (or whatever they are), and has no problem with me racing with them.  He said I could get another Holter monitor (24-hour EKG monitor) done if I want to find out what the arrhythmia actually is--it could be PVC's or PAC's--but I said I really don't care what it is, as long as it's OK to skate with it.  I didn't bother asking if there was anything that could be done about the arrhythmia; I know that the only medication typically prescribed for PVC's is beta blockers.  I was on beta blockers for my old arrhythmia--the one my cardiologist fixed in 2005--for 2 days. The beta blockers lasted until I tried to go mountain biking.  On the beta blockers, my resting heart rate was 36.  My max heart rate was about 140.  Not terribly conducive to maximal-level exertion.   I asked my Dr. to switch me to another drug, which I was on for a year but which didn't completely control the arrhythmia, and then eventually had the ablation procedure to fix the arrhythmia.  Anyway, PVC's aren't usually medicated, because they're pretty much harmless.  I wasn't looking for a solution to the arrhythmia, just for confirmation that it wasn't dangerous to race with it.  And I got the confirmation.

So that's one good thing.

4 comments:

  1. Good news! Very important that the thing keeps beating....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking :-) I'm happy to know I don't need to worry about it, just be irritated by it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaari:

    I think I know who this is! And you know me. I was skating in circles, really HARD on Monday. First time really in 3 years.

    Did a nice light weight workout Tuesday, and today...despite feeling the BEST I HAVE IN 3 YEARs in many ways, the PVCs have been driving me NUTS all day!

    Reading your comments, I realized that you have a fairly "constant" struggle. THANKS for the encouragement to sort of "ignore".

    Hope to see you soon at your "alternate" venue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found me! I'll need a few more hints as to who you are, though...I'm feeling a bit brain-dead at the moment! As for the PVC's, they do suck, don't they? Make sure, if you plan to "ignore," though, that you have a Dr.s' blessing. I've had pretty much every cardiac test known to man (including wearing a Holter monitor and event monitor while skating and even racing), so my cardiologist is pretty sure that I won't suddenly drop over in the middle of a lap. Good to have the medical "seal of approval!"

    ReplyDelete