photo by Steve Penland

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Waiting, Waiting...

(To get the most from the title, you have to sing it like the song by the Minnesota band from the '80's, "The Suburbs."  Memories from my (hardly!) misspent youth...)

Anyway, I'm waiting--waiting for the results of my blood tests from a week and a half ago.  I finally called my doctor's office on Friday, since it had been over a week since I had the blood drawn and I typically get the results in the mail within a week (note to anyone who has or suspects they have thyroid issues--always get a written copy of the results! ).  They told me that the doctor had been on vacation all week--bummer.  I'm hoping for the results early next week.  In the meantime, my workouts continue to be epically sucky.  Wednesday's races went somewhat OK--a bit faster than the previous races, anyway--probably because I changed the spacing of one of my thyroid meds and took more of it before the race than I usually do.  I did the same thing for the Thursday morning workout, though, and it was another suckfest; I quit after 2 of the prescribed 5 sets.  Saturday's "recovery skate" was similarly awful; Energizer Bunny (who usually is content to draft off of me) couldn't take my snail-pace and after about a mile she blew by me and disappeared down the trail, never to be seen again (well, not until I finally wobbled back to our starting point, anyway).  I'm also tired more, sleeping more, and napping more (good thing I'm off for the summer!).

So I'll be very surprised if I'm not hypo again--surprised and a bit dismayed, because then I'm not sure what's going on.  My chiropractor wants to look into adrenal issues and to give me some advice on supporting thyroid and adrenal function, so I'll be doing that.  I wish I knew how to address the workout issue in the meantime, though.  It's July, which means I need to figure out my July workouts, but I hesitate to do that without knowing what my thyroid levels are.  I suspect that just trying to push through the regular hard workouts is probably not the best plan.  I think my best course of action is to throw in an easy week next week (even though I'm not quite due for one yet) and then make my July workout plan after I know what's going on with the thyriod levels.

In the meantime, I'm waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment