photo by Steve Penland

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Decembrrrrrrr

It's cold here.

Really cold.

"Get out the clunkiest Sorel boots and the snowpants and the Mad Bomber hat just to walk down the driveway to get the mail" cold.

"Put booties on the unimpressed dog" cold.

Yes, she's unimpressed...but at least her feet are warm.

It was 14 below when I got up this morning, and that was without the windchill.  American Cup racing started at 9 am, by which time the temperature had risen to a balmy minus 12.  As I may have mentioned once or twice, though, I wasn't skating the Am Cup.  Instead, I was standing on the sidelines, nicely bundled up, barely feeling the cold, and holding a stopwatch (I was timing the skater who starts in the second pair outer in quads, and was backup to the primary timer, who is backup to the electronic timing system--hey, someone's got to be bottom of the food chain).  It's always fun to time, and the cold really wasn't a problem for those of us who weren't wearing skinsuits and thin speedskates with no socks...but I would still much rather have been freezing my butt off out on the ice than standing on the sidelines in comfort.

So I guess I need to get faster so I can qualify to skate the Am Cup in Milwaukee at the end of the season.

I'll get right on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment