photo by Steve Penland

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Predictions

Before I get into the post, I just have to show this picture...proof that I did, indeed, run a 5K in under 8:30 miles!
I'm on the right in the CrossFit SISU shirt.  Duh.

The nutrition and fitness challenge that I've been doing through CrossFit SISU the past 6 weeks is coming to an end this week.  On Sunday we get together to do our "post" fitness testing, which consists of: the CrossFit Total (total pounds lifted in the strict press, squat and deadlift); the time for a 1K row; the time for a workout consisting of 15-12-9 thrusters and Burpees; and the results of our personal Challenge Goal.  Improvement in any of the tests leads to extra points in the contest; three of the four tests also come with 100 penalty Burpees for those who fail to improve.

I sense a lot of Burpees lurking in my future.

So, for what it's worth, here are my predictions for the SISU Challenge Test-Out.
1.  CrossFit Total. This is the test where I have the most likelihood of improving--not because I've been working on those lifts, but because (due to a cabin trip that conflicted with the Pre-Test date) I had to do the lifts in the back of the gym during a class,  with no supervision or encouragement.  This probably led to me wimping out and doing less weight than I should/could have, because I've never attempted maxes in these lifts before and I was cautious.  So I should be able to improve on this test--unfortunately, this test is the one of the four that apparently does not come with penalty Burpees.
2.  1000 meter row.  I predict suckage in this one.  My pre-test time was 4:01, and it was pretty much everything I had.  Since I've been off skating for the past four weeks I'm quite sure I don't have as much in the cardio area as I did for the pre-test.  We've done lots of rowing warmups the past few weeks, as well as a couple rowing WOD's (Workout of the Day), and I even did one rowing workout at home...and I was struggling with the pace I'd need to hold to break the 4:01.  Burpees, here I come.
3.  Thrusters/Burpees workout. Same deal here as the rowing; I don't think my cardio is up to what it was at the beginning of March.  This, of course, is as it should be for the "rest season" for skating--but it could mean more Burpee Hell.
4.  Challenge Goal.  The Challenge Goal I set for myself is to do two consecutive double-unders (spinning the jump rope under twice while jumping once).  I guess I should have known better than to set a coordination-based goal for myself, but since I had mastered achieved the "one at a time dubs" back in January, I figured that with a little practice I should be able to figure this out.  Nope.  Despite practicing every time I've gone to CrossFit in the past six weeks, I have not yet achieved two consecutive dubs.  I can now do two singles/a double/two singles/a double for up to four doubles, but I'm guessing that doesn't count.  More Burpees.

So there you have it.  I predict 300 Burpees. Of course, there's the chance the coaches are just kidding about the Burpees...but this is CrossFit, after all.  So that's doubtful.

Still, however the Challenge Tests turn out, I've loved these past six weeks.  I'll do my "Body by Paleo" post once I've completed all the aspects of the challenge (the tests, the post-body fat measurement, etc.), but to spare you the suspense, the short answer is that this has been a phenomenal experience and I'm so grateful to the SISU coaches for setting this up, and so glad I decided to do it.

Now, just remind me of that when I still have 299 Burpees to go on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment