photo by Steve Penland

Friday, March 14, 2014

Tomorrow, I Run

Or jog.  Or maybe shuffle pathetically.  Whatever I end up doing, I need to do it for 3.1 miles.

Yes, I entered a road race--a 5K--for the first time in...10 years?  Maybe more.  I did my first "road race"--which, in my case, is not a race at all but merely "paying lots of money to get a T-shirt and to jog with a bunch of other people and to try to pass people I think I should be faster than right before I get to the finish line"--when I was 15 or so.  I've done lots of 5 milers and 10K's--and even a marathon--since then, but I think the only 5K's I've actually done were the cross country races I did the one season I ran CC in college, before I smartened up and realized that I really wasn't fast enough to be doing that.    So I guess that means that my time tomorrow, however slow, will be a road 5K PB.  Or, I guess runners call them "PR's" (personal records).  Or maybe I should use the CrossFit term, "benchmarks," since I'm running the race with people from the CrossFit gym I go to (well, I'll be running with them if any of them are content to slog along at 10-minute miles).

Anyway, it should be fun.  Despite it being "take it easy" season for me, I'm confident in my ability to run 3 miles.  After all, I've trained for it.  And by that I mean I ran 2 miles.  Once.

See? Here's the indoor field house where I ran.

And, of course, I've carbo loaded for it.  I may not have much running talent, but I excel at spotting situations in which I can convince myself that eating a lot is actually a good idea.

In this case, a lot of pancakes.  Grain free Paleo pancakes, of course, with pure maple syrup--I'm still doing the nutrition challenge through the CrossFit gym. Oh, yeah, and bacon.  Normally there would be more bacon but I only had one piece left in the house.  Obviously a crisis situation...

So I'm trained and carbed up and ready to get out there and have fun tomorrow morning.  Stay tuned for the undoubtedly-exciting race report!

No comments:

Post a Comment