photo by Steve Penland

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Long Time No Post

I see that it's been 10 days since I posted; this is partly because I've gone back to work and am now busy again, and partly because things are pretty quiet around here.  Here's what's been going on:

  • Work is going well, except for the sitting.  My students are now used to seeing me carrying a pillow with me wherever I go, and have even reminded me to go get it when I forget and leave it on another chair.  Even with a pillow, though, there's just no good way to sit, and by the end of the day I always have a fairly significant pain in the ass.  Oh, well...this too shall pass.
  • My custom CrossFit workouts are fun.  Not as fun as "real" CrossFit, of course, because I'm working out by myself which is not nearly as entertaining as working out in a group, and also I can't do the usual "high intensity" CrossFit-style stuff--yes, I actually miss collapsing on the ground like roadkill after a WOD.  But I'm getting a good workout and it's nice to have my bicep tendinitis pain (which I've had since March) finally be gone--seven weeks off will cure a lot of what ails you, I guess.
  • I am apparently not Lifetime Fitness material.  Within one week of beginning my membership, I have: lost my card; forgotten my hairbrush post-swimming--twice; almost walked into the men's locker room; overlooked the full-sized towels and brought a "sweat wiper" sized towel to the shower with me, which really wasn't sufficient for the job; and incurred many a confused look from the Lululemon-clad chicks in the cardio room as I hopped from machine to machine, spending no more than 2 minutes on each in my quest to find the most hammy-friendly cardio exercise.  Still, I'm sticking with it until I'm able to jog again, because I really have no other cardio options.  And I'm finally getting a chance to work on my swimming, which may come in handy some time or other.
  • I think I've finally gotten back on the Paleo wagon for good...but not before I outgrew a few pairs of pants.  Good thing I'm able to work out again!
So all in all, recovery is going well, work is going well, workouts are going well.  All is good.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how, but I missed all these posts about your crash/injury...something must be wrong with my feed because this post was the only one I've seen from you in forever. Will have to look into that...anways, I've spent the last little while going back to the crash article and catching myself up. OH MY GOD!!! you certainly did a number on yourself. So glad to hear you are back on the mend...and still keeping your humour about you as you comment on the Lulu ladies at Lifetime!

    Congrats on making the Granite Games. (I missed those posts too!?!). A couple of my coaches were there competing. I had actually never heard of the Granite Games until the coaches told us they qualified. They really had a good time and said they learned a lot. Hopefully you will be ready to go for next year's Games.

    I hope your recovery continues to go well. So glad to hear you are back to some modified CrossFit workouts...and back to singing at the top of your lungs as you drive yourself wherever you need to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool that your coaches went to the GG! And weird that you didn't see my posts. Anyway, I'm glad to be easing my way back into things...looking on the bright side, I guess I get to experience the thrill of all those CrossFit "firsts" all over again!

    ReplyDelete