photo by Steve Penland

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Like a Real CrossFitter (but not quite a real skater yet)

This week, I actually felt like a "real CrossFitter."  I didn't have to avoid any movements in any of the WOD's, which meant that for the first time since the injury I did: kettlebells; squat cleans; front squats with more than 50 pounds or so; deadlifts with actually lowering the bar instead of dropping it to spare my hammy; and Rx-weight thrusters.  Which may, of course, account for why my leg is so sore now.

But it's a good sore, right?

The week started out really well, hammy-wise (wasn't he a character in Lord of the Rings?  No, wait, that was someone else...).  Anyway, I had some more (quite painful) dry needling on my bad leg on Monday, which led to actually feeling almost no pain at all when walking on Tuesday.  Believe me, that's a novel sensation...and it felt so great that I immediately went to CrossFit and did the above-mentioned kettlebell swings.  Which of course meant that by Wednesday it hurt to walk again.  Oh, well.  There are still definite signs of progress; despite the returning leg pain on Wednesday, I was able to wear "regular pants" all week at work, without having to change into sweats to accommodate leg pain and swelling. (Which did not go un-noticed.  As I left school the other day, one of my co-workers asked how my leg was feeling.  When I said "good," she replied "Yeah, it must be feeling better; you kept your pants on all day.")

Thursday's WOD, in particular, put a smile on my face.  It started with squat cleans; we were to work up to our heaviest squat clean which would be followed immediately by two front squats.  My previous clean PR was, I think. 110.  On Thursday, despite it being my first day doing full squat cleans since the injury (I had been limited to hang power cleans before), I did 105--and it felt pretty easy (except for the hammy when I hit the bottom of the squat).  And then there was the metcon.  I had been looking forward to it since the minute I saw it posted the night before: a 5 minute AMRAP of 65 pound thrusters and chest-to-bar pullups (in the format of 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc.) followed by a 2 minute rest and then a 5 minute AMRAP of thrusters and toes-to-bar.

Well, I thought the thrusters sounded heavy but I planned to try them at the Rx weight.  I was looking forward to the chest to bars; I hadn't tried them since the Granite Games Masters Sectional when I tried them for the first time and barely managed to complete 7 in about 6 minutes, but I know my regular pullups have improved dramatically since then (in the Sectionals I did 16 pullups in about 12 minutes; now I've done 100 in a WOD) so I was curious to see how my chest to bars had improved.  The toes to bar, though, were the real focus of the WOD for me.  T2B are my current Kryptonite.  I've done exactly one of them in my entire life, and haven't come close the times I've gotten some coaching on them recently.  But I figured I'd do my first thruster, and then either get a T2B or spend the next 4 minutes and 50 seconds trying.

As I had hoped, the thruster/C2B combo went well.  Not fast, but well.  I ended up getting through the round of 5--which meant 15 C2B pullups--and then 6 more thrusters.  The thruster weight felt surprisingly good, and I think I only no-repped myself on one C2B. So that was fun.

On to the T2B.  There were, as I anticipated, many "no reps,"--usually when my right foot didn't quite make it to the party--but in the end I completed 4 actual T2B's, thus quadrupling my lifetime accomplishment.

You can bet I was smiling after that!

As for the skating, I went out twice this week, both times immediately after a CrossFit workout.  The first time, I was able to skate two laps in a row once and three other sets of one lap, before my leg said "stop."  The second time, I couldn't complete a full lap.  So while there's definite progress in skating, there's also definitely a long way to go.  But that's OK; as long as I'm moving forward I'm happy.

It's so much fun to feel like I'm really starting to get back to doing at least one of my sports at close to a "normal" level!

No comments:

Post a Comment