photo by Steve Penland

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Here Ya Go, Sharon!

This one's for my cyber-friend and fellow "middle aged lady speedskater" Sharon, of speedskatingmom.com.  Sadly, Sharon lives in a place where there is no long track, so she skates short track...and she's asked for a video of inline skating on the oval so she has a visual of "the long track life."  So, in my usual "obsessive overkill" fashion...here ya go, Sharon!

This first video is from last fall; I had the Hubster tape it so I could show out-of-state Coach TieGuy my technique improvements.  I like this video because you can continually see the bikers coming out onto the track behind me and in front of me, and at one point Hubby zooms out so you can see the craziness of the infield skate park.  The only thing missing that night was 40 or 50 roller derby girls; they typically stay in the infield right next to the hockey rink, but they certainly add a unique aspect to the atmosphere!

And here's a nice blast from the past--an inline race from 2007 which I (barely) won.  Yes, that's Coach TieGuy in the tie, off on the left side, yelling at me and giving me my lap times.

And finally, here's me doing a 500 race on the same oval this past winter (I'm the one in gray).

So...now you have a visual!  (Hmm, I can't see the first two videos but I'm not sure if it's a problem with my computer, or if y'all can't see them either.  If you can't, someone let me know and I'll try to fix it!)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your obsessive overkill. And now I'm completely jealous you have a long track oval to skate on.

    There is such a difference in your 2007 skating video and this one - it's unbelievable - you can see that right? You're extending on way further on the strides now.

    You are seriously my hero. Or would that be Shero?

    Whatever...you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the oval is awesome...except for the punks, who seem to be a bit...punkier...than usual this year. Hopefully some rule-enforcing will happen soon...

    THanks for the comments on the difference in my skating--it really makes me happy to hear that! Especially with the slow start that I'm having this season--I need all the positive comments I can get!

    Hmm, "shero." Can't say I've ever been called that...kinda made my day... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. really, your technique got better and better in that video from last fall: nice!! that 500m from last winter looked pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mel! It's nice to feel like I'm finally "getting there" as far as technique goes!

    ReplyDelete