photo by Steve Penland

Friday, January 18, 2013

Next Up...Am Cup

This weekend I'll be racing the American Cup event here in Roseville.  Minnesota is really pulling out all the stops, weather-wise...we've got 40 degrees with a chance of rain and 45 mile-per-hour wind gusts predicted for Saturday, followed by a 10 degree high and 15 below windchills on Sunday; all we're missing is a blizzard or a tornado.  The "Milwaukee climate-controlled-skater Facebook whining" has already started; it will be fun to see how some of the indoor folks dress themselves for the Sunday chill (neoprene facemasks and hats over skinsuit hoods are popular).

I'm racing the 500, 1000 and 3K in the Saturday wind, and the 1500 and perhaps the mass start event in the Sunday fridigity.  I have no idea how it will go; last week's workouts were hard but went well, while this week has been, um, less than stellar.  I'm comforted by the fact that my faster-and-fitter friends who skated the same workouts are also feeling it; when I asked Hawkeye Boy, mid-Tuesday-night's "Tornado" workout (don't ask) how his legs were feeling, he replied with a grimace and a terse "poopy."

I can identify with "poopy."

Still, I didn't skate yesterday and I'm not skating today, so we'll see what two days of rest can do.  And, just like when I went to Milwaukee for the Masters Single Distance event a couple weeks ago, my focus is more on enjoying the event than on hoping to set Personal Bests (which is a good thing, given the 45 mph wind and the slow below-zero ice forecast).  So I'm thinking that if I emerge from the weekend with nothing frostbitten and no injuries and with the memory of two days of fun, I'll be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment