photo by Steve Penland

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How I'll Spend (the rest of) My Summer Vacation

I just got back from five days at the cabin for the annual Family Work Weekend.  Since "The Cabin" is a compound of six cabins (one 90 years old) and an A-frame garage that was built by my dad with help from me and my sister when we were 12 and 14, and it's owned by um, let's see, I think with my dad's generation and my generation we're at 14 families--well, there's a lot of work to do.  And a lot of fun, what with cousins and cousin's kids and dogs everywhere.  My parents live there full time now, too, and, except for some "aging parent health issues" that make my very sad, I always love visiting them.  Keira, of course, is in her happy place at the cabin...which usually means "elbow deep in Lake Superior."
Swim?  No thanks; I'll just stand here for 10 minutes.

I knew that there would be no time for workouts during the work weekend, but that was OK...I'd planned ahead.  I beat myself to a pulp with Granite Games Sectionals workouts and three more CrossFit workouts after that (one of which, for the first time ever, I simply quit right in the middle of; my left leg is still complaining about the pistols) right before we left for the cabin.  I figured that this way I wouldn't care if I didn't get to work out during the work weekend--and it turned out I was right.  My arms were so sore that it was Sunday before I could lift them over my head without wincing.  Good plan, huh?

Of course, it being a "work weekend," there were still some "functional strength" WODs to be done.  There was the "Firewood Chaingang AMRAP:" Take small armload of firewood from cousin.  Pivot 180 degrees to hand wood off to next cousin.  Pivot back 180 degrees for the next load. Repeat until wood pile has been moved from where it was to where it should be.  There was the ever-popular Two Rounds, Not for Time of the "Middle-aged-lady middle-of-the-night outhouse dash."  And then there was the grand finale:  The 400-pound window "Ground to overhead to scaffolding to hole in wall." Fortunately this one was a four person team event.  Unfortunately, my sister Energizer Bunny and I were two of the team members.
The Hubster and Brother in Law, and the window that's 
a lot heavier than it looks.  And I'm pretty sure the scaffolding
was a lot higher when we were on it, too.

So anyway, the cabin was fun. I mean, what's not to love about this?

But now, I'm excited to be home.  If today was any indication, July and August are going to be a whole lot of fun.  I'm trying to plan my weeks to include four CrossFit workouts, one CrossFit personal training, three oval skating workouts, and one "recovery" trail skate per week.  Today was CrossFit in the morning, then lunch, then skating in the afternoon, then dinner.  Really, who could ask for a better day than that?  Of course, there's the small matter of being 50, and of perhaps having more enthusiasm than stamina, but assuming I don't just tip over from tiredness at some point, the rest of the summer is looking pretty good!


2 comments:

  1. always lots of work to be done at a cabin/cottage...same here, but always so nice to sit and look at the lake and enjoy a cold one after getting the chores done. You sound like you will be quite busy with loads of workouts...be sure to schedule some rest/recovery in there too! What are you doing in your personal training sessions? i'm considering getting some PT, but not sure i have time or can afford it, but would love to work on some of how the lifts and i really want to build more muscle to burn some fat off this old bod of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, nothing better than looking at the lake! I hear you on the recovery--I"m planning one full day off per week (which is shocking to me, considering that I used to need 3 days off), but I'm willing to adjust that as needed, and I'm going to talk to the coach about scheduling "easy weeks" every so often (which I do in skating). As for the PT, I did 4 half-hour sessions before the Granite Games stuff came up--worked on olympic lifts, rope climbs, etc--stuff I can't do well. We're going to continue this, focusing on stuff that I'm not as good at (or can't do at all, like T2B) so I feel like I"m as prepared as possible for the GG. Basically remediating weak areas, both physical and technique. I knew I'll have a lot of questions/requests for help this summer because of the GG, and I figured it would be easiest to work on this stuff in PT rather than continually bugging the coach at workouts :-)

    ReplyDelete