photo by Steve Penland

Friday, July 11, 2014

Wimp Saunter



A couple of months ago I signed up for a Warrior Dash that will be taking place tomorrow morning.  It seemed like a good idea at the time: 3 miles, 13 obstacles, some mud and mayhem and fun, and all with a bunch of people from CrossFit SISU. Oh yeah, and a T-shirt.   Seemed like a great way to challenge myself physically and have some fun with the great people that I sweat next to multiple times a week in CrossFit.

Of course, that was before the Granite Games came up.

Now?  Well, now I'm thinking my "Warrior Dash" tomorrow may well end up being more of a "Wimp Saunter."  Between the Granite Games sectional WODs last week and my (perhaps not terribly effective) attempt this week to, for the first time, switch from training for skating and simply doing CrossFit, to training for both--I have done more workouts the past two and a half weeks than I ever have in that time frame before.  Eighteen in 18 days, and that was with the five days off when I was at the cabin.

Ooof.  No wonder I'm not feeling particularly warrior-like today.

Still, despite the need to perhaps tweak a thing or two in my workout planning--I had to do four days in a row of CrossFit this week due to coming back from the cabin late Monday night; I've never done this before and by today's WOD my arms were suggesting that perhaps I might consider never doing this again.  (My butt might agree, since it's probably sporting a new bruise or two from my falling on it repeatedly today when I was attempting to clean a weight that I can usually get.)  Anyway, where was I?  Oh, yeah...despite the need to tweak my schedule a bit, most of the workouts actually went OK.   So in general I think I can handle the "train for both sports" thing, at least for the summer (when I have no job and no schedule beyond what I feel like doing at the moment).

 I do have several sore spots to work around, though, including a left knee (from left leg pistols), my usual left shoulder stuff, and a right quad pain (from what turned out to be inappropriate insistence on finishing a very long endurance skating workout on Tuesday).  I went to a very good Physical Therapist today; he's based out of CrossFit MN and I've seen him a couple times before, and he was able to assure me that my shoulder and leg issues aren't serious, and he gave me some strengthening exercises to add to my "remediate the weak spots" list.

With my left knee being less than enthusiastic about running, and my left shoulder being unpredictably cranky when asked to work, running and obstacles should be interesting tomorrow.  What with general fatigue and the minor injuries, I have decided to focus on "have fun" rather than "challenge yourself"as the theme for my Wimp Saunter Warrior Dash.  Obstacle looks like it might take a lot of arm strength to get over?  I'm going around.  Knee hurts when running fast?  I'm running slow--or even walking.  My goal is to enjoy the event as much as possible, without risking injury or aggravating my cranky bits.

I do kind of want to challenge myself mentally, though, should the occasion arise.  By this I mean that, if there are obstacles that are easy physically but that scare me (I'm extremely claustrophobic, so think tunnels), I'd like to challenge myself to do them.  But then my PT told me today about an obstacle in a Warrior Dash that he did that consisted of crawling on your hands and knees up a hill in basically a tunnel for 200 feet; hot, pitch black, and with people jammed in front of and behind you.    Something like that would not be a challenge--it would be a way of assuring myself of a full-on shrieking meltdown the likes of which you've never seen a 50 year old woman perform in public before.  So I'm probably not going to challenge myself to do anything that might involve me needing to be sedated and forcibly removed from the obstacle. On the off chance that something like that would come up, you know.

Anyway--Wimp or Warrior, I'll find out tomorrow.

Now I need to go find some clothes and shoes that can survive a mud bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment