photo by Steve Penland

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Goodbye, Oval

Today was the last day of ice at the John Rose Oval for the 2011-12 season.  We had metric sprint races; I did the 100, 300, 500, and 1000.  No spectacular times (you know how I love sprints!), but the weather was great and it was a fun morning. And, I'm finding that the end of the season gives me the desire to wax poetic.  Since my only claim to poetry fame is having memorized more limericks than anyone else on the women's rugby team in college, don't expect much--but here's "Goodbye Oval" (with apologies to "Goodnight Moon," Dr. Seuss, and anyone else I might be inadvertently channeling).

Goodbye Oval

Goodbye, John Rose Oval
The season was fun
And now let me list
My goodbyes one-by-one

Goodbye winter weather
Bye ice, rain and snow
Goodbye rare calm days
Goodbye winds that blow

Goodbye frozen toes
That pain us a lot
Goodbye frosted lashes
Goodbye dripping snot

Goodbye Gore-tex jackets
Goodbye dorky glasses
Goodbye Nike Swiftskins
Stretched over our...glutes

Goodbye boots and blades
Goodbye sharpening stones
Goodbye painted lane lines
Goodbye starting cones

Goodbye weeknight workouts
With laps slow and fast
Goodbye Masters men
The draft was a blast!


Goodbye hockey players
Goodbye errant puck
(Get out of my lane!  
OMG!!  WTF?!)

Goodbye weekend races
Both metric and pack
(It's metric I love;
It's pack skills I lack)

Goodbye fellow racers
"Enduros" and sprinters
Goodbye wooden benches 
With butt-piercing splinters

Goodbye winter beauty
By night

and by day

Goodbye John Rose Oval
The best place to play!


5 comments:

  1. Any poet who can insert in WTF in their poetry is on my hero list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say...sometimes, inspiration hits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a moving poem, I got a bit sniffly at the end, haha! (well, I think maybe the mental anguish over my mangled ankle had something to do with that, I desperately hope I'll be able to skate again...) I really miss that place! Hey, what does the board say in the night pic? All I can read is the "thank you"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it is a special place, isn't it...hockey players, splinters, and all! As for the sign, it just says "thanks" to some people...I'm not sure who they were thanking, or why. What's the status on your ankle? Is skating in jeopardy? I hope it starts behaving properly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After starting to get over my bad sprain, it suddenly took a turn for the worse. It feels like my outer shin bone is where my inner one should be, the square bone it sits on is slipped out, and a couple of foot bones are crossing. Yeah. And I think this complication occured when I was simply standing up out of bed...

    ReplyDelete