photo by Steve Penland

Friday, September 14, 2012

Bad Things and Good People

I had a nice (hopefully) amusing little post half-written in my head about the North Shore Inline Marathon I'll be skating tomorrow morning.  But I really don't feel like amusing posts right now.  Bad shit keeps happening to really good people.

Last weekend, a co-worker's college-age son incurred a severe head injury.  He's in the hospital now, and his mom is posting daily updates on his Caringbridge website.

My cousin, her parents, her husband, and their 22-year-old daughter are all in Miami right now.  They are not there for a family vacation, but because the daughter is undergoing treatment for a rare form of cancer that she was diagnosed with just before Labor Day.  Miami is where the best treatment is, so Miami is where they are.  My cousin is posting updates on her daughter's Caringbridge website, too.

Kids that age shouldn't have to have Caringbridge websites.

Then, when I got home from work today I spent a few minutes on the computer before packing for Duluth.  When I logged onto Facebook, I discovered that my friend Mel--who is an awesome long track ice skater, has been tearing up the roads in her first serious season inline racing, and who is also one of the most genuine, nice people I know--crashed on the Oval this morning in her last pre-North-Shore skate, and is currently in the hospital with facial injuries that require surgery.  She obviously hasn't been able to post anything herself yet, so all I have is second-hand info, but it doesn't sound good and I feel so bad for her.

So really, how a chunky middle aged hypothyroid skater does in an inline marathon tomorrow is pretty irrelevant.  While I skate, and however I skate, I'll just be grateful for my health and for all the good things I have in my life.  And I'll send some good thoughts to Luke, and Siri, and Melissa.  Hang tough, guys, and get well soon.

It sucks when bad stuff happens to good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment