photo by Steve Penland

Monday, September 3, 2012

Update Time

Since I was at the cabin for the past few days and didn't skate, there's not much significant to report on that front.  Plus, school starts tomorrow so there's still a fair amount of scrambling to do today if I intend, tomorrow, to: wear clean clothes to work; bring actual food to work for my lunch; have a plan for what I'm going to do with my 10 students all day.

So, a few brief updates it is!

  • Yes, I was high.  Or, almost.  I got my thyroid bloodwork back just before we left for the cabin.  My Free T4 is nicely in range, but Free T3 was at the top of the range.  Which, apparently, is too high for me. (For those of you lucky enough to have properly-functioning thyroids, the "range" is a somewhat vague thing; different people feel best at different parts of the range.  The fun part, when you have thyroid issues, is trying to figure out just where in the range that is for you, and then to adjust the med dosage so you can stay there.  Since most of us don't test our thyroids when we're young and they're functioning fine, finding the right spot in the range becomes somewhat of an adventure).  So anyway, we dropped my "fast acting" thyroid med, which is the T3, a bit, and we'll see what happens.
  • Last Wednesday was the last night of the Summer Inline Series.  I'll put it down in the record books as a "mental victory."  I was feeling lousy before the races and had to work very hard not to make excuses, before I raced, for why I was undoubtedly going to skate so badly.  But I didn't make excuses, I didn't skip any of the races, and I actually had OK times (well, OK for the past couple years, anyway; abysmally slow relative to my best times) in all three races.  A moderately successful end to the SIS.
  • It's September, isn't it?  That means I need to plan my September workouts.  I have no idea what they will be.  Well, I know that on September 15 my workout will be "skate 26.2 miles from Two Harbors to Duluth."  But the rest of the month is up in the air.  I guess I'll take a look at what Coach TieGuy had me do  the past couple of Septembers.  Then (after I gasp in horror at the amount of skating he'd assigned and I'd completed in the past), I'll adjust the workouts to accommodate my current state of "slow and squishy," and I'll go from there.
  • Grand Marais, where our cabin is, does not excel in the grocery-options department.  There are two nice small grocery stores, but both with somewhat limited options, at least relative to my supermarket-mega-store-littered suburban home.  However, Grand Marais does have something that I have been unable to find locally: unfrosted Blueberry PopTarts.  Blueberries grow wild around Grand Marais, so maybe the flavor is more popular there than downstate here.  So there are currently two boxes of unfrosted Blueberry PopTarts residing in my cupboard.  Or, well, a box and a half, actually...
And that's that!  My short term focus is surviving the first week of school with enough energy to get to the Oval for 2-3 workouts.  We'll see how that goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment