photo by Steve Penland

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Wow

I've decided not to go to Milwaukee.  Today's workout was another cruddy one, so it doesn't seem to make sense to drive 300 miles (each way) to have another cruddy workout, even if it would be on ice.

But that's not why I'm posting today, and that's not the "wow."

The "wow" is this:

This is my friend Mel.  Thirteen days ago, she had a horrific crash on the oval that resulted in multiple facial fractures necessitating surgery, as well as several knocked out or damaged teeth.  She was in the hospital for several days, and currently has her jaw wired shut.

And today,  she rode her bike seven miles to the oval to do a dryland workout (and gave me some coaching on my skating, as well).  Our friend Danny, who was at the oval when she crashed, told me as he was relating the story that "Mel is the toughest person I've ever met."

I've gotta agree!

Mel, it was great to see you out there.  You are truly a courageous person and a great role model, and I know you'll be out there this winter, skating hard, enjoying the ice--and hopefully having a PopTart or two!

4 comments:

  1. Kaari, I was inspired just reading this blog, and then it hit me- you're talking about me! ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you truly are inspiring...so I figured people should know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! That is amazing that she's back at it so quickly! Way to go, Mel!

    ReplyDelete