photo by Steve Penland

Monday, June 23, 2014

Granite Games Online Qualifier 14.3

I went to a concert a couple weeks ago with a good friend (3 Doors Down, and it was quite good.)  Midway through the music, the lead singer was talking about a new album they were working on (do they still call them albums, or have I just dated myself?).  Anyway, he was saying that he was having a hard time writing the songs, and his wife had suggested that perhaps he was too happy to write.

Well, I've heard other musicians say that, and authors too--there's just a lot more to say when things are going poorly (although Pharrell may disagree).  And in my case, there's a lot more to amuse others when things are going not-so-great, as they did in the Great Pullup Debacle of 14.2

Granite Games Online Qualifier 14.3?  I got nothin'--it went great!

However, I'm never one to make a long story short, so here's a brief recap of the uneventfulness that was 14.3.

For 14.3, I would not be able to attend Friday Night Lights as I had for the other two qualifiers; I needed to do the 6:30 am Friday class so I could head out on a long weekend vacation with the Hubster's family at 9 am.  Consequently, I have no pictures of 14.3--we were all busy either doing the WOD or judging each other.  But anyway, there wouldn't have been much to see, just deadlifts and Burpees.

Lots of deadlifts and Burpees.

Actually, when I saw what 14.3 consisted of I was happy, because deadlifts (even 155 pound ones, as in 14.3) and Burpees are things I can do.  I may not do them fast, but I have no doubt that I can do them.  So 14.3 made me happy.  14.3 was: 12 155 pound deadlifts, 12 bar facing Burpees, then 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 of each.  It was a 9 minute AMRAP, and CoachBoy 3 warned us that it should be a "redline, all-out sprint."

Well, I can do 155 pound deadlifts, but since that weight is about 85% of my current One Rep Max, I was pretty sure there would be no "sprinting" involved, at least in the deadlift part.  I wanted to go slowly and carefully to be sure I did each lift correctly so I didn't hurt myself, but even if I'd wanted to go quickly, the weight would have precluded that.  As for Burpees, well, I tend to do "old lady Burpees," where I walk my feet out and back in rather than jumping them; it's just easier on my weak shoulders.  So my Burpees don't happen terribly quickly either (remember how my sister kicked my butt in my 100 Birthday Burpees last fall?).  I figured, given all this, that I'd be lucky to hit 50--25 deadlifts and 25 Burpees.

Well, to cut to the chase--the workout went great, I ended up with a score of 92, and I was very happy with the results.

And there's really not much more to say about 14.3, because it was a success.  Sometimes it's nice not to have so much to write about...

No comments:

Post a Comment