photo by Steve Penland

Monday, August 22, 2011

Cabin Time

Back to skating news soon.  In the meantime, The Hubster, the dog and I just got back from the cabin again, so here are some random photos of the fun we had.  You will note that none of the photos contain dryland, because no dryland was done.

The Hubster and I did do one workout; we mountain biked at our favorite trail, Pincushion Mountain.  Unfortunately  we managed (although we do this trail at least once a year) to get lost on the wrong trail within the first 100 yards.  That led to a lot of this:
Just me 'n my map.  The trail we erroneously ended up on, though, had been printed on the trail map in a light orange, which had rapidly faded to invisible.  Where the heck are we?

At one point, I thought we were where my right finger is.
The map said we were at my left finger.

Eventually we figured out the invisible-ink issue with the map and suddenly it all made sense...although, as  the Hubster said, "you shouldn't have to use lemon juice to read the map."

We got back on the main trail right before the best part of the scenery, the overlook.

In the past, the Hubster has ridden up this rock face.
Now, a combination of age, wisdom, clipless pedals, and a full suspension bike that doesn't climb very well dictate that he do this:
For the record, I have never attempted to ride up or down this rock.

It's well worth the effort of getting to the top, though; there's a spectacular view of Grand Marais, Lake Superior, and the surrounding woods.  Obligatory scenery shots:












Headin' for the hills...

In addition to the biking, we did some work around the cabins.

 Here's Keira following the Hubster down the road.
She thinks his tractor's sexy.

We also spent a lot of time with my parents.  My dad in his garden...
Yes, his hat says "Slaughter The Wildlife"  He's unaware of the '90's band name/album title referenced on the the hat...he just likes the sentiment.

And here's my mom, with her crew.
They're very well-behaved...when there's popcorn.

The Hubster has learned to overlook their less civilized moments...

You know it's been a good vacation when the dog can barely keep her eyes open on the way home.

Anyway, we had fun.  We got home at 10:30 last night...and at 7:30 this morning I was back on the Oval doing the first lap of my 4x6K workout.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment