photo by Steve Penland

Sunday, November 6, 2011

I'm Going to Camp

The long track life has been a bit quiet, workout-wise, this past week.  I've been simultaneously resting on my laurels recovering from my 5k and hard workout last weekend in Milwaukee, and resting up for my upcoming four days of fun--on Wednesday, I'm flying to Salt Lake City for a Masters Skating Camp led by Olympic Gold Medal winner Derek Parra.

I've been to one masters skating camp before, at Calgary back in 1995.  My main memory of that event is that, while it was a lot of fun, it was also insanely hard (and I was only in my early 30's at the time!).  We had two dryland and two ice workouts a day, for, if I remember right, 5 or 6 days.  Of course, few of us had done any dryland before the camp and thus we were immediately plunged into that lovely "my ass and legs are on fire" post-first-dryland state, where we remained for the rest of the camp.  Compound the issue by adding more workouts every, oh, four hours, and we were hurting units by the time we got back on the plane.  I remember that, when we were out at a restaurant in the evening and a group of us women would head to the bathroom, we would fight over who got the handicapped stall--you know, the one with the higher toilet and grab bars, to make standing up easier.

I'm hoping that this camp will be more focused on learning how to do dryland exercises properly and on improving our skating technique, rather than just putting us through nasty workouts.  Coach TieGuy puts me through plenty of nasty workouts as it is.  Basically, I'm hoping to have fun spending a long weekend with some other obsessed old skaters, get some time on fast ice, and hopefully learn a few things (Coach TieGuy, of course, has taught me pretty much everything I know...but I'm a slow learner, and sometimes someone will say something that you've heard a thousand times, but will say it in a different way--and it will suddenly sink in.  In particular, I'm hoping that a way to avoid freaking out when I hit a corner at 500 or 1000 speed will sink in...but I digress...) .

So...time to sharpen the skates, do some laundry, and pack.  I'll try to do a few updates from the camp, if I have time and energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment